Monday, October 15, 2012

Time

One thing I will never be able to adapt to, or get over is African time. People in Africa do not care about the clock. If they say they'll be there at 9 am, they might just arrive at 1 pm. I learned this the first day I arrived. My project coordinator called me and told me he would arrive at the orphanage at 9 am to start the orientation. Me, being the keener that I am, set my alarm, got up early and was ready all before 8:30 (in case he arrived early). 4 hours later he arrived, without an apology and continued on as if it was 9 am. I know traffic and transportation in Uganda isn't easy, and driving disasters happen spontenously.. but don't give a time if you cannot commit. My daddy and sister would love African time, since they're both always late. My date for the wedding was suppose to pick me up at 11am. He came at 1pm and he told me the ceremony started at 1:30... we did some errands ans got to the church at 3:30... We missed the ceremony lol. But it was his friend getting married so it didn't completely bother me. Gah, I can't handle people who don't respect time! And that's practically every African...

Tomorrow Emily and I are venturing off to Sipi Falls. It's about a 4 hour bus so we packed books, apples, chips and jelly donuts (whicht I'm extremely excited to devour!). It's an early morning for us so I'll say good night!

1 comment:

  1. lol thank goodness i was rarely late picking u up all those times haha. time goes so fast here...... its almost midnight and i jut got home =((

    ReplyDelete