Thursday, October 4, 2012

Technology

Currently I'm helping Isaac create a Facebook and e-mail account. Craziest thing. He's never used the internet before, let alone a computer..and he's 18! I just showed him what a mouse is and how to use it. He is struggling to maneuver his mouse over the "Proceed" button. We live in such different worlds. It's just like how the kids are so fascinated with all the volunteers smart gadgets. Where we live, it's so common to own an iPhone or laptop...no one looks at these objects in aw. In developed countries we don't appreciate things as much as we should. I found that even after my first day, I began to appreciate things more. Going to the Red Chilli Hostel I look forward to having a nice cold refrigerated drink and a light in my room for before I sleep - Things that we just expect in life.
Something else that I miss is, ice. Two days ago Gideon was kicked with a football (soccerball) in the chest and Yesterday Solomon slammed his finger in a door. Automatically my remedy for these pains would be ice but ice doesn't exist here. The only thing I could do was give them a kiss and hope that that magically helped them feel better.

As of me? I'm good. I think I got a tan from hand washing my clothes outside yesterday. The kids like to stare and laugh at our terrible "muzungu" (white person) technique. The first time I washed my clothes they stunk after they dried but this time I think they're clean. The kids didn't laugh as much today, I think that means I'm getting better at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment