Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Experiences



Today I faced my fears.  The last time I was in Uganda I learnt to drive a boda-boda (motorcycle taxi) but slid out and was left with a scar. I was switching to the 3rd gear for the first time and found the speed too fast, so I tried to gear down but did not hit the gear properly and was unexpectantly heading towards a building.  Impulsively I swerved, dropped the boda and fell off. Luckily the boda-boda and I were fine, but it definitely left me physically and mentally scarred. I didn't attempt driving again after that. Arriving in Fort Portal Ivan, the local boda-boda driver wanted me to drive him around. I told him what happened and that I was too scared to try driving again. Somehow he convinced me otherwise and I started back learning on the field. He wants me to drive him into town, and I want to too but I just have to get past my nerves and practice some more. Hopefully I can say I drove into town before I leave!

It was also my first time to hitch-hike onto the back of a truck! The locals and past volunteers have been telling me that that's usually how they get a ride into town if a free boda-boda does not pass them on the road. So after 10 minutes of walking and no boda-boda, I decided to "thumbs up" a truck that was about to pass by. Surprisingly they stopped and I asked them if they could take us into town. They said okay and I hopped onto the back of the truck standing in what looked like grey mud (?) and the other girls jumped in the front. It felt weird just standing beside 4 Ugandan men who didn't speak any English but also pretty fun while we maneuvered the windy roads while holding onto the truck. Definitely an experience that I would do again. I know my parents wouldn't approve but hey, we saved ourselves 3,000 UGX!

No comments:

Post a Comment