Saturday, January 5, 2013

Ibonde - Fort Portal


Arriving at my new placement I was shocked, compared to the Wakiso placement, life here is quite luxurious. I sleep in a double bed (larger than the bed I have at home), volunteers have a hangout room with multiple couches (again, more than I have at home) and share multiple washrooms (which you can guess, I also don't have at home). Unlike Bulabukulu-Wakiso, the volunteer home is about a 3 minute walk just down the road from the school and orphanage so we get some privacy. We also have electricity! Which is something I'm still getting use to. In Wakiso after 8pm after the sun had set, many kids would become quiet and run out of things to do. The children of Ibonde Children's Home have a satellite television, fully lit dormitories and they are in the process of building flushable toilets and showers. There are also less children here, so the ratio of volunteers to children is much better. The weather here is much more bearable than Wakiso. Since we are situated closer to the rainforest, I don't find myself constantly wanting to hide in the shade from the hot hot heat.

Life here is nice, but I definitely miss my kids in Wakiso. 

No comments:

Post a Comment