Saturday, September 29, 2012

Red Chilli

Hello. It's another weekend at the Red Chilli Hideaway Hostel with warm showers, comforting food, electricity and internet. I've been in Uganda for 2 weeks and it's really starting to feel like home. I'm getting use to the permanently grimy feeling and I'm completely attached to many of the kids. They are all so wonderful with such vibrant personalities. This week we started growing carrots and eggplant for the orphanage. We built the garden completely from scratch; from slashing the grass, to turning the soil, and creating some shade made from fallen down trees and banana leaf leaves. - I felt pretty handy. We are hoping that these vegetables can be incorporated into the children's diets. I can't imagine eating posho and beans 3 times a day, everyday.. A lot of kids don't eat their food, and that's why they get stomach ulcers. I promised the kids next week I'd eat the same food as them for a day. I hope it isn't incredibly terrible...

I paid for my safari trip in late October to Murchison Falls, it's the most recommended safari Uganda has to offer. I'm excited to finally see the animals. I've only seen stray dogs, farm animals and a couple of monkeys. Unfortunately there are no zebras and giraffes in my backyard. A volunteer and I are also thinking about seeing Sean Paul for only 25,000USH! Which is about $12USD! Ridiculous! I haven't bought any clothes yet but I am planning on doing some hard-core bargaining shopping tomorrow at the market. Going to try and barter myself some deals!

1 comment: